Family 5k


Finally! Finallllllly. Hello. Hi.

Do you know what happens to me almost every day? I wake up and think, I'm going to blog today. I miss it. (Well, okay that's not actually the very first thing I think when I wake up, but you know what I mean.) But then I get the kids ready for the day and I get myself semi ready for the day (read: I have pants on that aren't sweatpants, you're welcome, coworkers), and then I work, and  I pick the kids up, and we do dinner and clean up dinner (read: we put the dishes in the sink) and get teeth brushed and pjs on and books read and meltdowns dealt with.

Then we take turns trying to get them to stay in their beds and in their rooms and be quiet, and then we take turns sitting in their room until they fall asleep, and then while waiting for them to fall asleep *I* fall asleep in the rocking chair. Jordan shakes me awake an hour later, and I wipe the drool off my cheek, take my contacts out, and get in bed and think, Maybe I'll blog tomorrow. 


I'm not apologizing. I'm just saying that all my hobbies are dead to me right now, and yes, it's because I have kids. I love them so much, so it's fine. But also I miss not falling asleep at 8:30 every night. Just saying.

Anyway, enough about that. What I really wanted to tell you about was the 5k Color Run we did this past weekend! As you all know, running is a hobby that I love doing, and I really hope I can get my kids to love it too! I didn't start running until I joined my college soccer team sophomore year (LOL; I was so bad), and it's not a huge life regret or anything, but I do wish that I had started running earlier in life, because I feel like I might have really enjoyed cross-country. I also just love the idea of my kids seeing me active and of us being an active family.

This was our second ever family "race" and first 5k. We walked a 1-mile fun run downtown OKC a couple of years ago, which was rainy but fun. I carried J in the Ergo, and Jordan carried R most of the way except for the beginning and the end, and R still talks about doing the race together. This time we went crazy and I signed us up for a full 3.1 miles, and I'm really proud of us for finishing, because both Jordan and I had real doubts. 

Saturday morning started off completely terrible. I wasn't feeling well, Jordan wasn't feeling well, and both kids woke up at 6am, which is at least an hour earlier than we expected them to wake up considering they'd gotten to bed late the night before. Let's just say they were extremely grouchy. Extremely. Which means super fun. I considered just not going at all, but we loaded up and drove to the park.

I cannot stress this enough: I legitimately did not think we were going to finish. I told Jordan I would be okay if we took a shortcut through the neighborhood to get done faster. The kids ate the snack I brought within ten minutes of starting, I still wasn't feeling great (I was really sore from doing a huge closet reorganization the night before; nothing actually serious), and Jordan's knee was hurting (hashtag we are old). But we kept on! Bumgarners are not quitters. Just kidding kind of. Okay not really kidding. Both of us hate quitting ;)

By the end, we actually ran a little! I ran through all the colors, and Jordan pushed the stroller through the finish line. Our official time was a blazing 52 minutes, and I'm actually really proud of us. Not only for finishing the race but for going at all even though the morning didn't start off smoothly. We still had a great time!

Jordan pushed the kids in the stroller around the last color station because they didn't want to go through it. I ran through it, and two kids pelted me with colored water guns. Excited for our next family race! Maybe it will have a smoother start than this one ;)
Rach said...

I'm impressed you guys stuck it out with such a rough start to the morning! And I'm so glad that you guys had a great time. I hope this is the first of many, many fun runs together as a family! :)

AnneMarie said...

Wow, that sounds like so much fun! That's great that you guys persevered through a rough morning to do that. I hope that evenings/bedtimes start going better for you guys! That sounds so exhausting to deal with.