This past Saturday I spent hours planning the wedding ceremony songs and reception songs/itinerary. That was a load off, since it's been on my to-do list for a month now. But I knew it would take me a good chunk of time, so I kept putting it off. After emailing the final list to the DJ, I felt like I'd accomplished something great.
Still, though, it never ends. There are gifts to buy, rings to size, guestbooks to make, RSVPs to track down, and a host of other wedding insanity items.
And the days tick down.
Yesterday it was 33.
Today it's 32.
I think you see where this is going.
And in between emails and phone calls and general planning, there are a few things that I'm into right now:
1. Jillian Michaels's 30-day shred. I know I've talked about this before, but I'm really enjoying it. As much as one can enjoy sweating profusely. I've always wanted to try one of those at-home workout DVDs just to see if I'd like it, and I do. Now, whether or not I'll like it when there's a boy around to stare at me remains to be seen.
2. Cooking. I honestly missed cooking. In my old apartment, I packed my pots and pans up pretty early in preparation for moving. Then I stayed with Hannah for a week; then I was in my new apartment for a week before I got all my stuff moved in and organized. So it was roughly three and a half weeks during which time I ate out and microwaved hot pockets. Not only did I not like spending money all the time, but I missed cooking. So over the past month or so I've been cooking a lot, wanting to try any new recipe I come across that looks good. Most recently a few friends and I got together and tried Pioneer Woman's chicken tacos. This involved frying corn tortillas, which was harder than it looked but ended up being really good. I will be trying this again.
3. Reading. I just finished The Hobbit and really enjoyed it. Reading a fun book for pleasure where I don't need to edit is quite refreshing. I've also had a book on hold at the library for a few weeks and just picked up Unbroken yesterday. I read the preface last night and am looking forward to reading more. I personally always feel more accomplished and happy when I spend a few hours before bed reading instead of watching Netflix. However, Netflix is great, which brings me to...
4. Friday Night Lights (the show). I can't seem to escape my friend Audra, who's always writing blog posts about shows and books and movies; and since I trust and respect her opinion, I at least have to give it an honest try. She hasn't disappointed me yet. So when she said FNL was good, I decided to give it a shot. Two seasons later (read: instant play on Netflix), I'm still liking it. It's not something I'd watch with Jordan, because I do feel a little silly what with all the high school drama. But it's been keeping me entertained on those nights when my eyes can't read another word.
5. Real Simple magazine. A few months ago, my mom bought a copy of Real Simple Weddings. Inside was a card for a free year's subscription to Real Simple. Of course, because I love free stuff, I mailed that sucker back in right away. I'm not big on magazines, subscriptions anyway. They just clutter up my counter and don't contain much that's interesting. But hear this: I love Real Simple. It's fun to read and full of great ideas for cleaning, organizing, cooking, shopping, and more. I just got my second issue in the mail and am loving it. And let me just say that I would say it's worth it even if I had to pay for it.
So that's what I've been doing, sandwiching fun between my regular life activities like work, church, violin practice, and tennis (read: I've resigned myself to matching my wedding dress. I have not been tanning).